Future of Tycho

12

Future of Tycho

Jason van Zyl-2
As Tycho moves toward a 1.0 there's a question we should ask our community of users about the future of Tycho.

As a user if you had a choice of where Tycho would live in the future would you prefer Tycho to be part of the Apache Maven project at the ASF, or at the Eclipse Foundation?

I think this is a decision where we want to involve our users.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: Future of Tycho

Pascal Leclercq
To my opinion, as a Spring DM/eclipse RCP developper the answer is : Eclipse Foundation,

 whithout a doubt.

Regards.

On 2010-01-12, at 11:06 AM, Pascal Leclercq wrote:

To my opinion, as a Spring DM/eclipse RCP developper the answer is : Eclipse Foundation,

 whithout a doubt.

And  your reasoning?

Regards.

2010/1/12 Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]>
As Tycho moves toward a 1.0 there's a question we should ask our community of users about the future of Tycho.

As a user if you had a choice of where Tycho would live in the future would you prefer Tycho to be part of the Apache Maven project at the ASF, or at the Eclipse Foundation?

I think this is a decision where we want to involve our users.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven

RE: Future of Tycho

HUDGINS, DAVID R (ATTSI)

Eclipse Foundation.

David Hudgins

Lead Technical Architect

AT&T IT Architecture & Engineering

Mobile 972.207.3980

Re: Future of Tycho

Pascal Leclercq
Well,

I think eclipse.org will soon provide a great platform for building OSGi.

It's only a question of synergy and (maybe) integration.

Regards

Re: Future of Tycho

Carlos Gama
I use Maven for many different things not only Eclipse/RCP so I like to think of Tycho as "part of maven". To me it's a Maven extension that allows me to use maven to compile eclipse RCP apps headless. So it makes sense to me if it becomes part of the standard Maven, and thus part of the ASF (if they keep supporting Maven development of course).

I'm not sure about what the benefits of joining either foundation are, though.

Just my 2 cents! :)

Cheers,
CG

Re: Future of Tycho

Jason van Zyl-2
<base href="x-msg://973/">As with Pascal it would be nice to have some reasoning. That's what I'm really interested in.

On 2010-01-12, at 11:13 AM, HUDGINS, DAVID R (ATTSI) wrote:

Eclipse Foundation.

David Hudgins
Lead Technical Architect
AT&T IT Architecture & Engineering
Mobile 972.207.3980

Re: Future of Tycho

Jason van Zyl-2

Re: Future of Tycho

Henri Gomez
> As Tycho moves toward a 1.0 there's a question we should ask our community of users about the future of Tycho.
>
> As a user if you had a choice of where Tycho would live in the future would you prefer Tycho to be part of the Apache Maven project at the ASF, or at the Eclipse Foundation?

Tycho is a very definitive maven plugin to build OSGI applications with Maven.
In the OSGI world, there is a strong foundation Eclipse RCP, but it's
not the only one.

That's why Tycho joining ASF will be a better choice for me.
It will avoid users confusion and show that Tycho is could be part of
Maven 'core' plugins, like SCM.

A big +1 to see Tycho under ASF umbrella

Re: Future of Tycho

Toni Menzel
OPS4J
If you really want to keep it out of the war, put it there - although i =
know it is not going to happen.

cheers.
Toni

On 2010-01-12, at 11:06 AM, Pascal Leclercq wrote:

[...]

Independent Software Developer
Professional Profile: http://okidokiteam.com
[hidden email]
http://www.ops4j.org     - New Energy for OSS Communities - Open Participation Software.

Re: Future of Tycho

Carlos Gama
I concur.

2010/1/12 Henri Gomez <[hidden email]>
> As Tycho moves toward a 1.0 there's a question we should ask our community of users about the future of Tycho.
>
> As a user if you had a choice of where Tycho would live in the future would you prefer Tycho to be part of the Apache Maven project at the ASF, or at the Eclipse Foundation?

Tycho is a very definitive maven plugin to build OSGI applications with Maven.
In the OSGI world, there is a strong foundation Eclipse RCP, but it's
not the only one.

That's why Tycho joining ASF will be a better choice for me.
It will avoid users confusion and show that Tycho is could be part of
Maven 'core' plugins, like SCM.

A big +1 to see Tycho under ASF umbrella

Re: Future of Tycho

Pete Carapetyan-2
For the reason's stated below by Henri, and also to avoid any confusion between this and RCP/Plugins as a subset - Apache seems more logical by a hair. Tycho belongs to the set:Maven, not subset:eclipse. In other words there are use cases where I would use Maven to manage OSGI work and not be doing RCP, but rather using the OSGI functionality within eclipse for it's own sake, not to develop RCP apps.

I have been following Tycho for about a year and this confusion still reigns solid in my head. Imagine the poor soul who barely understands Maven much less OSGI much less the eclipse variant of OSGI. Getting his head around what is what might be challenging, no sense in making it any worse.

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Henri Gomez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As Tycho moves toward a 1.0 there's a question we should ask our community of users about the future of Tycho.
>
> As a user if you had a choice of where Tycho would live in the future would you prefer Tycho to be part of the Apache Maven project at the ASF, or at the Eclipse Foundation?

Tycho is a very definitive maven plugin to build OSGI applications with Maven.
In the OSGI world, there is a strong foundation Eclipse RCP, but it's
not the only one.

That's why Tycho joining ASF will be a better choice for me.
It will avoid users confusion and show that Tycho is could be part of
Maven 'core' plugins, like SCM.

A big +1 to see Tycho under ASF umbrella

RE: Future of Tycho

Sievers, Jan

we have a preference on Eclipse Foundation since we already have company agreements in place.

From a committer license point of view, both Eclipse and ASF would make it much easier for us to contribute as we also have an agreement with ASF in place.
I am being told that the currently proposed CLA  http://www.sonatype.org/SonatypeCLA.pdf probably does not have much chances of getting approved here.

Best Regards
Jan

Re: Future of Tycho

Pascal Leclercq
Please note that, for the time being,  available packaging provided by Tycho are :

- eclipse-plugin
- eclipse-test-plugin
- eclipse-feature
- eclipse-application.

I think the firsts two should be renamed to a more OSGi neutral name but he other ones are related to eclipse.

And also note that Tycho consume very well p2 repository which are eclipse based.

2010/1/12 Pete Carapetyan <[hidden email]>
For the reason's stated below by Henri, and also to avoid any confusion between this and RCP/Plugins as a subset - Apache seems more logical by a hair. Tycho belongs to the set:Maven, not subset:eclipse. In other words there are use cases where I would use Maven to manage OSGI work and not be doing RCP, but rather using the OSGI functionality within eclipse for it's own sake, not to develop RCP apps.

I have been following Tycho for about a year and this confusion still reigns solid in my head. Imagine the poor soul who barely understands Maven much less OSGI much less the eclipse variant of OSGI. Getting his head around what is what might be challenging, no sense in making it any worse.

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Henri Gomez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As Tycho moves toward a 1.0 there's a question we should ask our community of users about the future of Tycho.
>
> As a user if you had a choice of where Tycho would live in the future would you prefer Tycho to be part of the Apache Maven project at the ASF, or at the Eclipse Foundation?

Tycho is a very definitive maven plugin to build OSGI applications with Maven.
In the OSGI world, there is a strong foundation Eclipse RCP, but it's
not the only one.

That's why Tycho joining ASF will be a better choice for me.
It will avoid users confusion and show that Tycho is could be part of
Maven 'core' plugins, like SCM.

A big +1 to see Tycho under ASF umbrella

Re: Future of Tycho

Max Spring
Hi Jason,
having Tycho at the Eclipse Foundation is probably better for the
adoption of Maven by the Eclipse community.
If it wasn't for that strategic consideration, I'd rather see Tycho at
the ASF, as I'm personally more fond of the ASF ;-)
Regards,
-Max

intuitively, I'd place Tycho at the ASF, as

On 1/12/2010 7:58 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> As Tycho moves toward a 1.0 there's a question we should ask our community of users about the future of Tycho.
>
> As a user if you had a choice of where Tycho would live in the future would you prefer Tycho to be part of the Apache Maven project at the ASF, or at the Eclipse Foundation?
>
> I think this is a decision where we want to involve our users.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: Future of Tycho

Barrie Treloar
On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 5:34 AM, Max Spring <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Jason,
> having Tycho at the Eclipse Foundation is probably better for the adoption
> of Maven by the Eclipse community.
> If it wasn't for that strategic consideration, I'd rather see Tycho at the
> ASF, as I'm personally more fond of the ASF ;-)
> Regards,

I think as people are pointing out there are good options for both places.

Eclipse would be good on the assumption that the rest of the eclipse
community might be more inclined to leverage this.
(The 3.2 ant releng was obscure, slow and not well modularized but I'm
not sure whether that has changed
I know I spent at least a week modeling the ant files to try to
decipher how it worked.  That may say more about me than their build
system :) but it is not obvious how it works.)
With a maven based approach the plugins are at least visible and
re-usable in different contexts and you get convention over
configuration.

Apache would mean there is less tie in to Eclipse and any confusion
that would bring. It may be more visible to other containers OSGi like
Felix.

I'm also assuming most existing users will continue to use Tycho
regardless of where it is hosted, so the question may be come:
  Which community will help grow Tycho the best?

Re: Future of Tycho

rpomeroy
+1 Eclipse.

With any luck it could win out over the B3+Buckminster+BuildSystemX
stack they're pursuing. Build challenges are the single biggest
impediment to widespread OSGi and RCP IMHO.

Cheers,

Ron
--
Sent from my 3G iPhone

On Jan 12, 2010, at 7:58 AM, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As Tycho moves toward a 1.0 there's a question we should ask our
> community of users about the future of Tycho.
>
> As a user if you had a choice of where Tycho would live in the
> future would you prefer Tycho to be part of the Apache Maven project
> at the ASF, or at the Eclipse Foundation?
>
> I think this is a decision where we want to involve our users.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: Future of Tycho

rpomeroy
Again +1 Eclipse

The hope would be that as part of the foundation we would increase the chances of replacing Ant *entirely* across foundation projects.

As much as I like m2eclipse - I'd prefer to have Mave so integrated that it's just a part of the JDT and PDE.

Hey, I'm allowed to dream right?

Cheers,

Ron
--
Sent from my 3G iPhone

On 2010-01-12, at 11:13 AM, HUDGINS, DAVID R (ATTSI) wrote:

Eclipse Foundation.

David Hudgins
Lead Technical Architect
AT&T IT Architecture & Engineering
Mobile 972.207.3980

RE: Future of Tycho

Niels B Nielsen

The applicability of Tycho beyond Eclipse is to me a very clear indication of ASF bindings. Even though the packaging formats (as Pascal also highlights) are very Ecliptic, the usability amongst other OSGI frameworks is imminent.
PAX and Felix clearly shows the use of maven in OSGI is a natural fit, as maven in my experience is very good for highly modular systems.

Secondly, even though the Eclipse community would be a good source of inclusion, I think it is unlikely they will really push another solution when Buckminster and P2 seem to have become so integrated into the platform already.

Just my opinion.

Niels B Nielsen | Lead Engineer
J.P. Morgan     | IBTech Global Rates Derivatives

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 5:34 AM, Max Spring <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Jason,
> having Tycho at the Eclipse Foundation is probably better for the adoption
> of Maven by the Eclipse community.
> If it wasn't for that strategic consideration, I'd rather see Tycho at the
> ASF, as I'm personally more fond of the ASF ;-)
> Regards,

I think as people are pointing out there are good options for both places.

Eclipse would be good on the assumption that the rest of the eclipse
community might be more inclined to leverage this.
(The 3.2 ant releng was obscure, slow and not well modularized but I'm
not sure whether that has changed
I know I spent at least a week modeling the ant files to try to
decipher how it worked.  That may say more about me than their build
system :) but it is not obvious how it works.)
With a maven based approach the plugins are at least visible and
re-usable in different contexts and you get convention over
configuration.

Apache would mean there is less tie in to Eclipse and any confusion
that would bring. It may be more visible to other containers OSGi like
Felix.

I'm also assuming most existing users will continue to use Tycho
regardless of where it is hosted, so the question may be come:
  Which community will help grow Tycho the best?

Re: Future of Tycho

Max Rydahl Andersen

IMO, Eclipse.

For the pure reason that it makes it much easier for Eclipse projects to use it
and I would really hate to see that prevent eclipse projects from being able to
use something as simple as Tycho (compared to buckminster and p2 pde build).

/max

--
/max
12