Quantcast

Hosted P2 repositories?

Beat Strasser
Hi there

I wonder if no one has the need for hosted P2 repositories? Nexus
Professional only provides P2 Mirrors (proxies) and P2 groups - but no
P2 repo where one can upload P2 artifacts. Virtual P2 repos (P2 view on
top of a Maven repo) aren't supported either.

Our products depend on various projects built in our company. Until now
we had a non-p2-target platform which was checked into SCM and we could
maintain it by hand. We used the tycho.targetPlatform option in our
tycho build. This seems to be obsolete and we should move our target
platform to a p2 repository manager. But I cannot find one.

Is it the only solution to create a p2 repository with the eclipse p2
tools and upload it to a webserver? This looks quite unreliable when
several builds have to push their bundles to this repository.

How do you work with third party bundles which aren't contained in the
Helios / Orbit repositories?

Beat Strasser

Re: Hosted P2 repositories?

Jason van Zyl-2
We have a few implementations of p2 hosted repositories but nothing we're ready to share.

We are looking into sharing our implementations with a few people who are interested, but there's a lot of work to do here.

If you're interested you can ping me offline.

On Nov 15, 2010, at 11:20 AM, Beat Strasser wrote:

[...]

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

A man enjoys his work when he understands the whole and when he
is responsible for the quality of the whole

 -- Christopher Alexander, A Pattern Language

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

A man enjoys his work when he understands the whole and when he
is responsible for the quality of the whole

 -- Christopher Alexander, A Pattern Language

Re: Hosted P2 repositories?

Beat Strasser
Hi

I'd like to know why tycho deploys p2 meta data to a maven repository
(p2artifacts.xml/p2content.xml). Who is currently able to use this data?

Is tycho able to access bundles out of a remote maven repository? Or can
it do so for local maven repos only? I've discovered that tycho projects
can depend on bundles from my ~/.m2/repository - but not from remote
maven repos (this would be really cool: we would not need hosted p2
repos anymore).

Thx,
Beat Strasser

Re: Hosted P2 repositories?

Jason van Zyl-2

On Nov 16, 2010, at 8:00 AM, Beat Strasser wrote:

Hi

I'd like to know why tycho deploys p2 meta data to a maven repository (p2artifacts.xml/p2content.xml). Who is currently able to use this data?

The OSS version of Tycho does not deploy to repositories. Only the SimpleRepository implementation of p2 can read that metadata. The artifact and metadata model is decoupled in Tycho so we made a new repository implementation that allows incremental deployment of artifacts in much the way you would expect with Maven. Eclipse and p2 were just not initially designed to do this. It was designed to drop released versions in mostly static repositories.

Is tycho able to access bundles out of a remote maven repository?

Sort of. If you put dependencies in your POM which are, in fact, bundles and turn on the option to look for bundle in the local maven repository it will work.

So basically you use Maven's downloading capabilities to put the bundles in the local Maven repo and then Tycho will find them there. What we typically do is let Nexus generate the p2 metadata on a Maven repository of bundles and then Tycho works fine.

Or can it do so for local maven repos only? I've discovered that tycho projects can depend on bundles from my ~/.m2/repository - but not from remote maven repos (this would be really cool: we would not need hosted p2 repos anymore).

Thx,
--
Beat Strasser

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will
elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come
and sit softly on your shoulder ...

 -- Thoreau

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
goals are in doubt.

  -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Re: Hosted P2 repositories?

Lars Fischer-3
Hello Jason,

2010/11/16 Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]>

What we typically do is let Nexus generate the p2 metadata on a Maven repository of bundles and then Tycho works fine.

Can this feature (generation of p2 metadata) be used with Nexus OSS?

Kind regards,
Lars

Re: Hosted P2 repositories?

Jason van Zyl-2

On Nov 16, 2010, at 8:37 AM, Lars Fischer wrote:

Hello Jason,

2010/11/16 Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]>

What we typically do is let Nexus generate the p2 metadata on a Maven repository of bundles and then Tycho works fine.

Can this feature (generation of p2 metadata) be used with Nexus OSS?

No, it's currently being developed as a commercial feature.

Kind regards,
Lars

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

A language that doesn’t affect the way you think about programming is not worth knowing.

 -— Alan Perlis

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

To do two things at once is to do neither.

 -—Publilius Syrus, Roman slave, first century B.C.

Re: Hosted P2 repositories?

Igor Fedorenko-2

On 10-11-16 08:00 AM, Beat Strasser wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'd like to know why tycho deploys p2 meta data to a maven repository
> (p2artifacts.xml/p2content.xml). Who is currently able to use this data?

These are useful in local repository only. We tried to use them in
remote repositories, but ran into problem described in

https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/TYCHO-335

Igor