tycho generated config.ini does not start runtime

tycho generated config.ini does not start runtime

Clay McCoy
I have built a product using eclipse-repository packaging successfully.  But when I try to run it, I get a runtime exception.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to acquire application service. Ensure that the org.eclipse.core.runtime bundle is resolved and started (see config.ini).

                at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:74)

                at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:368)

This is apparently common, and can be fixed by adding :start after the runtime jar listed in the osgi.bundles property of the config.ini.

So my question is, how do I get Tycho to build an appropriate config.ini?  It seems to mostly overwrite the existing config.ini, and I need the runtime started or the app won't actually run.

I'm using Tycho 0.10.0.

Thanks,
Clay

Re: tycho generated config.ini does not start runtime

ejain
On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 08:50, Clay McCoy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So my question is, how do I get Tycho to build an appropriate config.ini?

In the .product file add this (same as with a PDE build):

   <configurations>
      <plugin id="org.eclipse.core.runtime" autoStart="true" startLevel="4" />
   </configurations>

Re: tycho generated config.ini does not start runtime

Clay McCoy
Thank you, that worked of course.
It is unfortunate that there are Maven guys like me that are new to PDE, and burden the Tycho team with basic PDE questions.  Sometimes it is hard to tell.  Is there any reading in particular that I should do to get a better grasp on the subject of PDE builds?  I've read RCP books, and lots of info on the internets, but strangely I can't find much documentation out there with much substance.

  </configurations>

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 13:07, Clay McCoy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've read RCP books, and lots of info
> on the internets, but strangely I can't find much documentation out there
> with much substance.

The best documentation I've found is working example projects, e.g.

https://github.com/sonatype/sonatype-tycho/tree/master/tycho-demo/itp04-rcp